Reflexology: How You Can Improve Your Flexibility
Every day we participate in certain activities with the purpose of improving and maintaining our overall health and well-being. This certainly includes getting proper rest, nutrition, and exercise, but it also includes undertaking relaxation techniques that address and reduce stress and anxiety. Many individuals would readily agree that stress and anxiety can have a dramatic effect on how they feel, and they may even notice they are more prone to illness when they feel stressed and anxious while reducing their stress and anxiety improves their health and well-being. It follows, then, that activities that promote relaxation can not only be wonderfully enjoyable, but they can also actually help an individual’s physical condition.
What is Reflexology?
It has long been proven that the simple laying-on of hands can be enormously beneficial to an individual’s health, while the application of pressure to specific points in the body can yield enormous benefits. Herein lies the secret behind the healing powers of reflexology.
Reflexology is a sort of massage treatment wherein exact pressure is applied to specific points of the body, including the feet, hands, and ears. Therapists who practice reflexology believe that specific points on the body correspond to organs and systems in the body and that by applying pressure where needed, one can experience health benefits.
There are many reasons why an individual may want to consider reflexology, including:
· Improved nerve function. Nerve endings tend to become less sensitive as we age, which can reduce their overall functionality and flexibility. Reflexology can stimulate up to seven thousand different nerve endings in just one session, helping to keep them sharp and moving.
· Improved energy levels. Reflexology improves the body’s ability to communicate smoothly between various organs and systems, which in turn can boost metabolism and energy production.
· Improved circulation. Reflexology can help to stimulate blood flow throughout the body, allowing more blood and more oxygen to move through the system and reach vital organs. This not only works to improve organ function but also to improve healing time and the re-growth of damaged cells.
· Improved relaxation. The improved nerve function and circulation of the body can produce a deeper state of relaxation in the body, which allows the individual to feel calm and more able to rest well and deeply. It is for this reason that many individuals who have difficulty sleeping turn to reflexology for relief.
· Improved detoxification. With improved circulation and improved organ function comes an improved ability for the body to detoxify. The body becomes more efficient at eliminating various toxins, which can strengthen its resistance to common illnesses.
· Reducing headaches and migraines. Reflexology can help to reduce the tension in muscles that are often responsible for headaches or migraines, thereby reducing both their frequency and severity.
· Relief from the unpleasant side effects of cancer treatments. Chemotherapy and other cancer treatments can result in a host of unpleasant side effects, including anxiety, sleep difficulties, nausea, indigestion, and much more. Reflexology can help to improve the nerve function and blood circulation that can stimulate normal and necessary body processes that will counter these undesirable effects.
· Improved pregnancy and post-partum recovery. Studies have indicated that reflexology can reduce the length and intensity of a pregnant woman’s labor, as well as their need for analgesics. Studies have also indicated that reflexology can help a woman’s body heal more quickly after pregnancy and delivery, reducing recovery time, and even helping to reduce the chances of post-partum depression.
While reflexology is not used for a medical purpose to either diagnose or cure health disorders, individuals who are suffering from a variety of health issues often choose reflexology as a complement to medical treatment and something that helps to relax the body. Even individuals who are not suffering from any sort of medical condition can experience great benefits as a result of receiving reflexology. Call Botanica Day Spa today to book your appointment or visit our scheduling service online!