Where Should You Go For Eyelash Extensions?
One of the scariest things about eyelash extensions is that the process isn’t regulated in some states, as is the case in Alabama, Maryland, Connecticut, Delaware, Idaho, and Wisconsin. A shocking number of states only require a cosmetology license in order to perform the service, and while these professionals are extremely skilled in their respective areas of focus (hair coloring, hair styling, hair cutting, makeup, and nails), they aren’t trained specifically to work on the eye area, which is extremely sensitive and delicate.
When booking your lash extension service, make sure your lash artist is a licensed esthetician (rather than a cosmetologist). Estheticians are specifically trained in skin-oriented treatments, like facials, microdermabrasion, chemical peels, and—you guessed it—eyelash services. Ideally, visiting a licensed esthetician at a spa that focuses on lash services is your safest bet!
- It Works: With lash extensions, you’ll wake up every day with long, fluttering, gorgeous lashes.The process is extremely effective at enhancing your eyes, and looks incredible on everyone.
- Completely Customizable: Your look can be as natural or as dramatic as you’d like, just work with your lash artist to decide on the ideal length and curl of your extensions.
- Virtually Waterproof: While you can’t get them wet in the first 48 hours, you can still swim, shower, and sweat in your extensions (although the dryer you keep them, the longer they can last).
- Pain-Free: The entire process is 100 percent painless for almost everyone, from start to finish.
- It’s (Usually) Safe: Dermatologists, plastic surgeons, and estheticians agree that, for the most part, extensions are safe (although there are risks of irritation and infection…more on that below).
The Drawbacks (For Some Not All)
- Irritation and Infection Risks: The major risk of eyelash extensions is irritation of the eyes. Eyelash extensions typically require glue to attach the extension to the natural follicle, and eyes are incredibly sensitive to these chemicals. Even many hypoallergenic ingredients can still inflame or irritate tissue by weighing them down or pulling on the hairs… hence the inherent problem with extensions. Anything around the eyes can irritate, either due to the chemicals or due to the friction and tugging forces around the lashes. To prevent irritation and an allergic reaction, it’s a good idea to do a patch test on your hand with the adhesive. It’s recommended that you request your esthetician use a latex- and formaldehyde-free adhesive since these ingredients are two of the most common irritants.
- Investment of Time and Money: Your initial set will cost anywhere from $100-300, with refills setting you back around $50-150 every 2-4 weeks. Getting your initial set can take up to two hours, with refill appointments lasting up to an hour.
- Potential Damage to Natural Lashes: Even if you see the best lash artist and execute your aftercare perfectly, it’s still very possible that you’ll see damage to your natural lashes. As your natural lashes grow, your extensions get farther and farther from the root of the lash. This makes it harder for your natural lashes to support the weight of the extension, which can cause breakage. Rubbing or itching your lashes in your sleep (either with your hands or against your pillow) can also cause damage to natural lashes.
- Uneven Fallout: Your lashes are at all different stages of growth at any given time, which means that some lashes are in a period of growth, while others are getting ready to shed. This means that a few weeks after your appointment, some extensions will fall out as lashes shed and are replaced with new, extension-free eyelashes, while others will remain intact. This can create an uneven, scattered effect if you don’t get your extensions refilled every 2-4 weeks.
- Washing Your Face Is a Pain: Remember that you can’t rub your eyes when you have eyelash extensions, which means you have to work around the eye area when you’re washing your face.
The Best Spa for Eyelash Extensions
But don’t worry! While we like to fully educate our clients and potential new clients into every aspect of this service, there are some amazing tips and tricks to make sure your lash extensions last longer.
Botanica Day Spa has been rated #1 in the Tampa Bay area for our lash extension services for several years in a row! We pride ourselves in using the best products and care during the appointment. With summer coming to a close and fall right around the corner, get a jump start on having fabulous, crazy full, and long lashes the easy way with eyelash extensions at our spa! Call us today at 727-441-1711 to book your appointment now.